Blog Archive of earlier posts

Thursday 1 October 2015

Late September birding


Golden-crowned Kinglet (Regulus satrapa) - Brady Park, Garson, Ontario - 2015 August 25
On a morning hike at Brady Park in Garson I came upon a mixed flock of birds feeding in the trees. This Golden-crowned Kinglet showed off its namesake striped crown.

Wood Duck (Aix sponsa) - Kukagami Lake, Ontario - 2015 August 26
The next day with continuing warm weather my morning hike found me in the forest around Kukagami Lake. In the water above a beaver dam a family of Wood Ducks foraged among the grasses in the early light. The colourful male stands out with the adult female on the right and one of five young on the left. The young bird has not yet developed the adult facial markings.

Ruby-crowned Kinglet (Regulus calendula) - Kukagami Lake, Ontario - 2015 August 26
Later when the sun was brighter I came upon a large flock of chickadees, nuthatches and kinglets. This Ruby-crowned Kinglet took time from its feeding to look down at me.

Ruby-crowned Kinglet (Regulus calendula) - Kukagami Lake, Ontario - 2015 August 26
A second Ruby-crowned Kinglet sat for some time at my eye level while the rest of the flock would not pose for me.

Turkey Vulture (Cathartes aura) - Kukagami Lake, Ontario - 2015 August 27
Next day I was out on a different forest trail that took me to a cliff top. With a strong south west wind blowing this Turkey Vulture soared back and forth riding the upflowing air currents.

Ruffed Grouse (Bonasa umbellus) - Kukagami Lake, Ontario - 2015 August 27
Closer to our cottage a Ruffed Grouse was seen on several different occasions. As it seemed unconcerned about my presence, I took an opportunity to lay down in the hopes of getting some close up photographs. The grouse after watching for a while decided I was not a threat and approached within 3 or 4 meters.

Ruffed Grouse (Bonasa umbellus) - Kukagami Lake, Ontario - 2015 August 27
Although it may appear that the grouse is calling out in this photograph, it did not make a sound. I can only guess that it picked up something sharp or very dry that stuck in its throat as it open and closed its mouth several times over a few minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome!