Blog Archive of earlier posts

Friday 26 June 2015

Long days of June


Pied-billed Grebe (Podilymbus podiceps) - Tiny Marsh, Tiny Township, Ontario - 2015 June 19
Another morning trip brought me back to Tiny Marsh. Hiking along a dike I came upon this Pied-billed Grebe which would pop up from below the water. Take a quick look around and disappear again.

Rose-breasted Grosbeak (Pheucticus ludovicianus) - Ariss, Ontario - 2015 June 20
A day later while on another hike I heard a very weak chirp from a shrub. On investigating I found this juvenile Rose-breasted Grosbeak sitting in the early morning sun. Judging by its looks it was not long fledged from its nest and most likely waiting for one of the adults to come back with food.

House Wren (Troglodytes aedon) - Ariss, Ontario - 2015 June 20
Further down the trail another sound got my attention, the scold like chatter of a House Wren. The bird finally came up out of hiding in the thicket of wild grape vines. In its beak was a fresh caught fly, meaining young birds were not far away.

Warbling Vireo (Vireo gilvus) - Ariss, Ontario - 2015 June 20
Here I managed to catch a photograph of a Warbling Vireo. This bird has a beautiful undulating song. It is a rather plain bird with whitish below and grey olive above. Its distinctive face has a white eyebrow and darker eyeline.

American Goldfinch (Carduelis tristis)
Yellow Warbler (Setophaga petechia) - Marden, Ontario - 2015 June 20
Hiking further south along the same trail I was awarded a beautiful pose by this female American Goldfinch perched on the dried stalk of last years Mullien. I managed several nice photographs and in this one she is a little distracted by a male Yellow Warbler flying past.

Grasshopper Sparrow (Ammodramus savannarum) - Westover, Ontario - 2015 June 22
A few days later I was out at another location below a hydro line. Here the rocky ground sustains only low scrub, sparse grass and meadow plants, perfect habitat for the Grasshopper Sparrow. This one was perching in a low shrub and shows well its very flat head and buffy breast.

Field Sparrow (Spizella pusilla) - Westover, Ontario - 2015 June 22
Another sparrow of this grassland habitat is the Field Sparrow. Here is one perched in a short tree overlooking the grassy area below the hydro line. The pinkish bill stands out when this bird is seen although its song is what usually first gets your attention.

Grasshopper Sparrow (Ammodramus savannarum) - Westover, Ontario - 2015 June 22
Here is a photograph of the Grasshopper Sparrow in the top of a cedar shrub showing its facial pattern and once again its flat head.

Blue-winged Warbler (Vermivora cyanoptera) - Hyde Tract, Kirkwall, Ontario - 2015 June 22
I did some more birdwatching in a different location not far away. Hiking along a forest trail I came into a clearing overgrown with grass, weeds and vines. Stopping to watch for some of the birds I could hear, I saw movement and caught this Blue-winged Warbler looking at me. It made not a sound and after we briefly watched each other it disappeared into the underbrush.

Indigo Bunting (Passerina cyanea) - Hyde Tract, Kirkwall, Ontario - 2015 June 22
In the same forest clearing I found this male Indigo Bunting also watching me. He made me feel like a tresspasser in his quiet home. The bright blue plumage shows up nicely from this sunlit perch.

Northern Cardinal (Cardinalis cardinalis) - Pilkington Township, Ontario - 2015 June 22
After my morning hikes I was back at my parents sitting in their yard. A pair of Northern Cardinals have nested in a cedar hedge and were quite active feeding their young. Here the male is unsuccessfully trying to hide in a maple tree.

Tree Swallow (Tachycineta bicolor) - Tiny Marsh, Tiny Township, Ontario - 2015 June 24
A few days later I was once again at Tiny Marsh. Walking along the boardwalk I saw a juvenile Tree Swallow perched on a dead branch. As I was getting ready for a photograph one of its parents flew up stuffed a beak full of insects into the youngs open mouth. The adult left again without ever stopping to perch.

Eastern Phoebe (Sayornis phoebe) - Tiny Marsh, Tiny Township, Ontario - 2015 June 24
As I walked by the Tiny Marsh Visitors Center an Eastern Phoebe flew away from its under eave nest and perched for me along a fence rail. The early evening sun shows nicely the brownish grey plumage.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful, nice catch on the blue winged and the Indigo.

    Herman

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome!