Blog Archive of earlier posts

Friday 19 September 2014

Cool and wet summer of 2014 is coming to an end


Black-and-White Warbler (Mniotilta varia) - Tiny Marsh, Tiny Township, Ontario - 2014 August 15
In mid August while traveling south, a stop at Tiny Marsh found this Black-and-White Warbler studying the underside of a lichen covered branch, in the hopes of a morning meal.

American Redstart (Setophaga ruticilla) - Tiny Marsh, Tiny Township, Ontario - 2014 August 15
Not far away along the forest trail this male American Redstart shows off his distinctive black and orange colours.

American Redstart (Setophaga ruticilla) - Marden, Ontario - 2014 August 16
Next morning I was out for a hike near Marden when I came upon a female of the same species. The female American Redstart has a much less distinctive, almost drab feather pattern. The one similarity is seen here in the location of the coloured feathers at the side of the tail. Where the male has orange areas at each side of the base of his tail, the female has yellowish areas at the same location on her tail. Otherwise she is a very plain looking bird.

Gray Catbird (Dumetella carolinensis) - Marden, Ontario - 2014 August 16
A short distance down the trail this Gray Catbird watched me walk by. Judging by its looks and actions I believe it to be a juvenile bird. It was much more curious of me than the average adult Catbird, which could be expected to scold me from deep within the shrubbery.

Double-crested Cormorant (Phalacrocorax auritus) - Burlington, Ontario - 2014 August 18
Later in the month I took the opportunity to travel around the shores of Lake Ontario. I did not see a great variety of birds and had few chances for a good photograph. At least one bird posed nicely for me. This Double-crested Cormorant stood in a common wing drying stance atop a light fixture. The amount of bird droppings running down the side of the light was an indication that this was a favoured perch.

Green Heron (Butorides virescens) - Tiny Marsh, Tiny Township, Ontario - 2014 September 3
The weather did not cooperate in late August and it was early September before I again found some avian subjects. Here a Green Heron stood on a log at Tiny Marsh hopping to catch a frog or fish among the cattails.

Black-throated Green Warbler (Setophaga virens) - Tiny Marsh, Tiny Township, Ontario - 2014 September 3
Away from the cattails along a forest trail, a small group of chickadees and warblers were feeding. Here a Black-throated Green Warbler looks at the underside of the leaves of a willow for prey. This bird is in fall plumage and the black throat is not yet heavily coloured. Warblers in their juvenile and fall plumages can be very tricky to identify.

Cooper's Hawk (Accipiter cooperii) - Ariss, Ontario - 2014 September 4
The next morning I hiked a different section of my favorite rail trail. I stopped suddenly when out of the corner of my eye I spotted a hawk only 10 meters away on a tree branch. I managed one quick photograph before it flew off to a more distant perch. Watching the hawk fly and then observing it on the more distant perch, I concluded that this was a juvenile Cooper's Hawk.

Blue-gray Gnatcatcher (Polioptila caerulea) - Tiny Marsh, Tiny Township, Ontario - 2014 September 12
A week later I again hiked the trails at Tiny Marsh. A thin wheezy call led me to this Blue-gray Gnatcatcher feeding in a willow tree.

Lesser Yellowlegs (Tringa flavipes) - Melanchton Township, Ontario - 2014 September 12
Further south on my travels that same morning I saw some birds in a wet spot near the road. Here a Lesser Yellowlegs stands in shallow water.

Killdeer (Charadrius vociferus) - Melanchton Township, Ontario - 2014 September 12
Numerous Killdeer where in the same field and here one posed for me.

House Wren (Troglodytes aedon) - Marden, Ontario - 2014 September 15
A few days later I walked the rail trail towards Marden. One of the birds out to greet me was this House Wren.

Brown Thrasher (Toxostoma rufum) - Marden, Ontario - 2014 September 15
Another bird not quite so brave was this Brown Thrasher who would not come out from the Hawthorn thicket.

Indigo Bunting (Passerina cyanea) - Marden, Ontario - 2014 September 15
And in a nearby shrub this female Indigo Bunting.

Philadelphia Vireo (Vireo philadelphicus) - Marden, Ontario - 2014 September 15
The last bird of the morning hike was this Philadelphia Vireo.

3 comments:

  1. The Green Heron was the best shot of this bunch...........I am totally befuddled by Female Redstarts, olive sided flycatchers, least flycatchers and blue-gray gnatcatchers..................They all look the same to me. Honorable mention to the juvenile Cooper's Hawk, slightly out of focus you are a cad and mountebank, Terpstra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice pictures John. There used to be Killdeers near our house, development took over their habitat. Also, this year our Robins left early even though I thought there was plenty of food? J.G.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work John. You have a knack for finding birds and for getting close, wish I had that skill.

    Herman

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome!